Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Walking through woods on a snowy evening



When I was in middle school, my mother was my teacher. One of the poems she had us memorize was a famous Robert Frost poem "Walking through woods on a Snowy Evening." When I took this picture, it was like the poem coming to life although my horses were nowhere to be found as stated in the poem. We have been here over two years.We were lucky to have gotten to see snow in Iwakuni because it is so rare. and this is actually considered a pretty good snow shower for here. It turned out to be a wonderful day to take photographs as well. Even though it has been several years, I can still quote that poem word for word.

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

No comments: